j programming-600

It was too slow, we had to start over

Posted on February 13, 2010 by Emi

It was an eventful day in the studio today… we’ve just limped out.  Our head’s are sore from being squeezed by headphones and our ears are knackered from listening to the same verse and chorus for 3 hours…

But spirits in the camp are high!  Recording has been done, progress has been made, tea has been swigged (and a special ‘thank you’ to Ben and Jill Weaver for supplying the AMAZING Betty’s biscuits for sustenance)

The first thing we realised when we listened to the tune was that it was too slow.  Not great news,  but I think we were relatively brave about it.  I manned the controls while J laid down new acoustic guitar, bass and electric guitar parts.

J strumming

The aforementioned broken-tuning peg on the Les Paul finally gave up the ghost good-and-proper.  J tuned the offending string with some pliers – rock n’ roll…

Broken tuning peg of dooooooom...

Then I did re-did a wheezy rough vocal (I have a sore throat) so J could get down to some serious production-action.

The tune has changed a lot since the last session, but I’m having trouble putting the differences into words.  It’s probably because we’ve been listening to it so intensely – it’s a big fuzz in my head.

J mentioned the other night that we wanted to make a track that sounded really ‘Bristol-y’.  I think that’s probably the best way to describe it…

I think we’re both feeling the ‘holy madness, it’s February 13th’ pinch in terms of launching this track.  But I say ‘meh’ to any of that stress shenanigans – I’m flippin’ LOVING it…