Writing bridges and ‘What’s that buzzing noise?’
Posted on January 3, 2010 by Emi
We’ve got a fair bit done today and all is well. J is in the studio listening back to my vocal takes even as I’m sitting in the living room typing this (I laid ‘em down while he went out for a stroll to catch some daylight…)
AHA! He’s just come in to say he likes the outtro harmonies – WOOP!
All celebrations aside for a minute and let’s get down to business. What did we do today? Here’s a tidy list:
- Wrote the bridge (C-section, break-down, middle 8, or whatever you want to call it). After working on it for awhile, it turned into the outro (magic!). We decided it should be a little weird compared to the rest of the song. We were discussing adding a loud creaking noise, or the sound a tin-building makes in a storm, or jerky-guitar parts – but we settled on making it 5/4 instead of 4/4 as a start…
- Hunted for a heinous digital buzz for a couple of minutes (it was because we were recording with a large-diaphragm condenser mic and I hadn’t turned on phantom power – SCHOOLGIRL ERROR!)
- Recorded 3 different acoustic guitar parts
- Recorded 3 different electric guitar bits, one of which we scrapped
- Snapped one of the tuning pegs on J’s Les Paul (see below…sadness)
- Changed the lyrics of the chorus – it used to be ‘You make it seem easy’ four times in a row, but it seemed like a lyric cop-out, so (after struggling with this simplest of tasks) I managed to mix it up a little.
- Re-recorded all of the vocals with harmonies and whisper-y whisper tracks
- J’s working on a new drum part for the verses right now…
Also included were drinking coffee, drinking tea, eating biscuits and eating lunch – CRUCIAL in any session. Especially the coffee… and tea… and food…
I’m in a freakin’ good mood because this song is about my brother is his lady-wife and working on this tune reminds me of how awesome they are…
I’m luuuurving the bridge… I’ve got a big crush on it. I’m gonna pass it a note in study hall.